Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Movies I Can't Wait to See: Logan's Run


Image from source, Wikipedia

There was a very interesting breed of movie back in the 1970s. While the studios were pumping money into quality productions like Star Wars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, they were also cranking out sci-fi on the cheap. Saturn 3, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Battle Beyond the Stars and Flash Gordon (1980) all come to mind.

And so does Logan's Run. But for some reason Logan's Run holds a soft spot in my heart. I think it was the fact that it was a dystopian future story like 1984 or Brave New World. I don't know why, I just dig those sorts of stories. The film starred Farah Fawcett (-Majors), then at the peak of her fame, Michael York and Jenny Agutter. The premise is a future where people live in paradise under domed cities. But paradise is limited. These domed cities lie in a wasteland of man's ruins. To keep the population in check, you must voluntarily submit to euthanasia.

Those who flip out, and decide not to off themselves are hunted down by "runners." When Logan--himself a runner--decides to run, the movie's action begins. The story still holds up well 30 years on, but the cheapie special effects doom it to be a period piece.

Fortunately, the film is being remade as a major motion picture, currently slated for 2010. While I'm sure I'll be there opening weekend, I'm hoping they don't screw it up. Yeah, I'm jaded. Of course, the remake has had a tumultuous genesis, and may never come to pass. Jaded or not, I'm crossing my fingers.

[Excerpt]

Known so far:
Distributor: Warner Brothers
Release Date: 2008+ [IMDB.com says 2010]
Production Company: Silver Pictures
Producer: Joel Silver
Screenwriter: Tim Sexton (based on the novel "Logan's Run" by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson )
Original Music: Not yet announced
Cinematography: Not yet announced


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...