Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Blogging and Web Surfing: I Don't Get It


I do this blog mostly for personal gratification. I enjoy the creative outlet, I like to rant, and I want to share it with people--rather than muttering to myself. Occasionally though, I get frustrated. My site tends to attract an average of under 100 people per day. That's OK, I mean when I started I thought I'd have no readers.

And this is as much for me as for you, so the number per day is sort of irrelevant to my desire to post things. But then I check my site meter, and find that I've gotten 125, 150 or even more posts, and I start to get excited. Wow! What if it hits 200? 250? 500??? That'd be cool! And then the next day, I barely squeak out 55 hits. What gives? What did I do differently?

I will often then make a big mistake, and check out other people's site meters. Some of my favorite sites might hit 1,500 hits a day, maybe as much as 5,000. Then I might check out AmericaBlog, one of my inspirations, and find out that they get 17,000 hits by 10 am! Shoot, what am I doing that's so different? And then there is the RSS count, which maddeningly will fluctuate here from 8 to 25. . .never more, never less, and never obvious why.

A couple of my posts, one about tattoos, and one about a streaker at the White House, will get 50 hits in one day. Even though I've updated those posts to ask "why did you come here?" I've gotten no answers. Maddening!

Check out the graphic at the top of this post. I've been writing the same basic mish-mash of pop culture, politics, news and personal observations, and yet the hit count fluctuates wildly. I just don't get it. But if you've found me, thank you, and please bring your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...