Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bad Anniversaries: Waco and Oklahoma City


Photo from source, CNN

Today is April 19th. It is the anniversary of the "shot heard 'round the world" that started the American Revolutionary War. It's the day the Bay of Pigs fiasco ended. It's the day Tim Curry was born (twenty years to the day before I was). And, as I'm never able to forget--because it is my birthday--it is the anniversary of the end of the Branch Davidian conflict in Waco, Texas, as well as the day of the Oklahoma City bombing by domestic terrorism.

There was a period when I worried that my coming birthdays would herald even worse catastrophes, based on sympathisers of one or both of these events. Fortunately, to date, that hasn't happened. But every year, like clockwork, I find these two events "memorialized" on my birthday. It could be worse, I supposed. At least my birthday isn't September 11.

[Excerpt]

Waco, Oklahoma City mark anniversary of tragedies

Two towns with an odd connection will pause Sunday to reflect on two tragedies that culminated in a wake-up call to domestic terrorism: the Oklahoma City bombing and the standoff that ended in fire at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas. . .

Read more at: CNN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...